13.1 Woot!

16 Apr

The biggest question of the day was “What should I wear?”. It was about 40 degrees, overcast with just a slight wind. I decided on long pants, short sleeve shirt and my wind breaker jacket. I pinned my race number to my leg just in case I needed to take my jacket off.

Teri (sister in law) picked me up and we headed to the meeting place. Around 8:10am the group (of about 50+ runners – I only knew a handful of them) made their way to the starting line. Once there I went to the bathroom twice (and still felt like I needed to go) and at 9am the starting siren sounded.

I placed myself in the back of the pack. The timer didn’t not start for me until I actually crossed the starting line, so when I crossed didn’t matter too much. At about 9:05am I crossed and was on my way. The first 6 miles where easy. At the OSU (Ohio State University) Horseshoe (Football Stadium) the OSU pep band was playing. That was inspirational. At mile 7 I saw Brian and Duane (Brian’s brother, Teri’s hubby). Oh, how nice it was to see them cheer me on! (Well, they didn’t really cheered, but having him/them there was nice).

Mile 8 and 9 where a blur. I remember thinking only 3 miles to go, but then realized it was still 4 miles. My feet where starting to hurt really bad and my left leg (quad) started to cramp up. Mile 10 through 12 was miserable. I walked more than I ran, but walking hurt my feet just as bad as the running did, so I tried to keep moving fast. I saw my boss and his wife at shortly after the 12 mile mark. All I could do was yell “I am sore all over, I’ll be taking Monday off…oh, and thanks for coming!” He told me today that they got a kick out of that. I saw a coworker at mile 12.5…she ran with me for a bit, just to keep my spirits up. At the time it was frustrating, because she was running faster than me, but thinking about it now, it was great having her there, because it took my mind of my pain. About 300 feet before the finish line I kicked it into gear passing one more competitor. I finished in 2 hours and 45 minutes and 5 seconds.

After finishing I was done. I was nauseous and hurting all over…I grabbed two bagels and a banana, wanted to get my picture taking with my medal, but the line was too long. Instead I stumbled over to Brian, Teri (who finished in 1:48) and Duane. We decided to get some pizza, even though I said I’d just watch, I felt very sick to my stomach. The walk back to the car was horrible. I did not realize I was dehydrated until I got to the car and drank some water. A bottle of water later I was starting to feel much better. By the time we got to the pizza place I was able to eat.

After we got home I hopped into the tub, fell asleep, peeled myself out of the tub and crawled into bed. I didn’t get much rest there, but it did help.

Memorable moments:

Seeing a bunch of young military personnel running/walking the marathon in full gear (45 to 50 lbs backpack).

Hearing the OSU Pep Band playing the Ohio State University fight song.

Seeing two women stop over and over to peel of layer after layer of clothes and still beat me to the finish line.

Having a hard time passing walkers!

Seeing Brian around mile 7.

Passing the point where the full marathon would be half done (about mile 11) and thinking “if I was running the full I’d only be half there” and then wondering what the heck is wrong with me!

I am already looking at the schedule for the Columbus Marathon in October…someone shoot me!

Comments Off on 13.1 Woot!

Posted by on April 16, 2007 in Race


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: