RSS

3 miles @ home (11:21)

17 Oct

Comments: My training required 3 miles today. First time actually running in the rain (not counting my short lived 13 miler in September). As I am running I am trying to keep my tempo slow. My body just wants to get the run done as fast as possible, but my mind is telling it “slow down, you need to pace yourself.”

People keep asking me what time I plan on running the marathon. That is really tough for me because I still haven’t learned to pace myself. I know if I go out any faster then 11 min/mile the first few miles I’ll be crawling the last few miles. So I’ll try to keep John Bingham’s words in regards to the first few miles in front of my eyes (something like): If you feel you are running to fast, you are, slow down! If you feel you are running just right, you are going to fast, slow down!

I had some pretty intense side pains during this run, which of course sent my mind wondering what caused them. I am trying to convince myself that the bagel I had just before I headed out the door is why I hurt. I haven’t had side pains like that in a long while and it’s not like I was running really hard.

This is 3 mile run was one of the few times I ran without a ‘bug in my ear’. I wanted to concentrate on my breathing. I am now toying with the idea of running the marathon without the mp3 player. (I might just put it on my belt, and the headphones in my pouch, just in case)

My boss came back from vacation today and his first words out his mouth where “Are you ready?” I said “Oh, am I ever!” and we both laughed. It is great to work for someone who has the same hobby you have. He’s actually toying with the idea of running a marathon…I am so excited for him, because he’s always tried making excuses “I am too old (58), I don’t have the time, blah blah, blah”, but I think he’s been bitten by the marathon bug!

My game plan today and tomorrow is to make a list of all the things I need to have ready for the big day.

Signed up for the Flying Feather Four Miler in November.

Some people, when they get nervous, they talk a lot…I write a lot! 😉

>>>4 days to go to the Columbus Marathon<<<

Time: 5:30 pm

Weather: 70, rain

ClothesMiT Technical Shirt, Adidas Shorts

Shoes: Saucony

Distance: 3

Time: 34:02

Split: 11:21

Course: To Wollard and back.

Advertisements

10 Comments

Posted by on October 17, 2007 in Countdown, Running, Side Pains

10 responses to “3 miles @ home (11:21)

1. william carter

October 17, 2007 at 10:02 am

The marathon is always a question of pacing. You definitely need to take it easy for the first few miles. When you feel great at the half way point (and I’m thinking you will),you can decide if you want to just cruise the last half and enjoy it or really push for a certain time. It sonds like the weather is going to be great.

2. Cranky!

October 17, 2007 at 10:37 am

I agree with that comment. It’s going to be SO HARD to keep yourself slow for the first couple of miles.

You have to decide what’s best for you, but if I were you I’d go for beating a 12:00 pace–unless you’ve done one of your long runs in an 11. Really, the first marathon should just be about savoring the crossing of the finish line!

3. Drew

October 17, 2007 at 2:04 pm

RR,

Good luck to you this weekend as well. Looks like we’re both also doing the FFFM in November. For all the schwag you get for signing up, why wouldn’t anyone do this race?!?

Also, I didn’t know if you were aware, but the USATF has banned mp3 players/headphones/etc. from sanctioned races. I don’t know the planned level of enforcement on this, but I do know they DQ’d some folks at Grandma’s Marathon earlier this year because they were wearing headphones.

Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Good luck this weekend!

4. PNW Runner

October 17, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Newbie here…and couldn’t help but be soo excited for you. I agree, it is hard to judge how fast you’re going to go out from the start. You’ll know come race day, just go with the flow and you’ll soon find a nice comfortable slower groove(worked for me on my 1st). Music is always a great company… only b/c I’m luv music and helps you stay in a rhythm.

Best of luck and remember to have a blast!

5. Running Ragged

October 17, 2007 at 3:09 pm

You are right they are not allowed. I was told they don’t really enforce it though. But it would suck to get DQed, so I am just going to put the mp3 player on my belt and the ear plugs in my pouch. If I really need them then I’ll pull them out. Call it my security blanket if you’d like! lol

6. Andria

October 17, 2007 at 4:38 pm

I love that quote! I admit I’ve not read anything of his, but I’m thinking I should…

The pace thing is really hard. I do the same thing that I start out too fast and wear myself out. I’ll have to remember that if I think I’m going good then I’m still going too fast.

Did you eat the bagel right before you left? You got to give it some time in there before you start out. Don’t worry though, you are going to do great!

7. kate

October 17, 2007 at 6:50 pm

I hear ya! Pacing is the hardest part for me. Some of my best runs are when I’ve run pretty even splits but those days are few and far between.

One of my biggest goals is to get to the 1/2 feeling good, then evaluate from there.

I won’t get a chance to go to the expo until Saturday but I’l let you know my bib # as soon as I get it. If you want to try and meet up drop me an email at katewickersham@gmail.com, but if not that’s totally cool. There’s enough pressure without trying to find a stranger in a mob of thousands!

Oh, and I really wanted to do the Flying Feather too but I always go to Indiana for T-day. =(

8. Nancy

October 17, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, you never write that much!! 😀

You are getting so close….have a great time and enjoy it.

9. suzanne

October 18, 2007 at 8:53 am

hey penny – i saw from the runner’s lounge that you too are running columbus on sunday! that pacing thing is tough … i think the last part of that quote is: if you feel like you are running to slow, you are running just right.
    columbus was my first marathon too (last year) – its a great one! good luck & have fun!!!

10. Nancy

October 19, 2007 at 10:26 am

Comments are closed on your latest post. I will put mine here. No wonder you are bouncing off the walls, you can see the start from your window?? That would be so cool!!

Have a great time and GOOD LUCK!!

%d bloggers like this: