RSS

Updated Long Term Goal

17 Jan

“Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you will land among the stars.” – Les Brown

Well, we all know that I am slower than snail’s pace and more than likely will never be able to run Boston. But, after running the half in Mississippi two weeks ago, the idea of running a half marathon in all 50 states plus DC started to form. I realize that it will take me roughly 20 years to get all the states done, with only having run in three (Ohio, Indiana, and Mississippi), but I think that would be a great 60’s birthday present to myself to get that completed.

With that said, we have friends that live in and near Boston, and my search for a half marathon in the states of Massachusetts shows that the Boston Athletic Association also puts on a half marathon in October. My schedule for this October is already booked, running and training for the Columbus Marathon on the 21st, but next year is wide open. In the mean time, I’d like to get at least one more state added to my “completed” list and then to throw myself into this adventure head first next year.

Created new Page tab: “50 States & DC Quest” to keep track of my goal.

Advertisements

6 Comments

Posted by on January 17, 2012 in 1/2 Marathon, Goals

Tags:

6 responses to “Updated Long Term Goal

1. MedalSlut

January 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Nice goal! I’d probably be aiming for the same if I still lived in the US, but looks like I’ll have to start aiming for as many in the UK as I can manage, starting with my first 3 this year! 🙂

2. Running Ragged

January 22, 2012 at 12:12 am

My secondary goal is 100 half marathons. I am sure living in the UK would make running the 50 (US) states a difficult challenge, unless you are wealthy and have plenty of time on your hands. lol

3. MedalSlut

January 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Unfortunately neither of those things apply to me! 🙂

4. Happy Runner

January 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I met a lady last summer at the Mayor’s Marathon in Anchorage. That race was her 51st State and her friend’s 49th. Very impressive, but totally doable as a long term goal. I am on 4 States, but moved back to the UK in 2010, so makes it harder to continue, but I consider England and Scotland as to separate “running States”, so that’s an additional 2 I can maybe substitute for 2 US States? LOL
    Or maybe I should start “collecting” European countries?

5. Happy Runner

January 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I meant 50th State of course… long day…

6. Running Ragged

January 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I don’t see a problem with substituting. LOL

%d bloggers like this: